animage top 100 anime

Discussion in 'Super GeekStation Climax: THE STARCADE' started by bigone, Jan 4, 2011.

1. bigone

bigone Senshi no Hikari

this is how all lists like this should be cause almost free of personal Bias

2. Darkster

Darkster It's over 8,000!

Maybe. There's always someone voting for a favorite when it asks for something else.

3. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Member

....How old are you? 'Cause 1999-2001 or so, Pokemon was pretty HUGE in America.

4. bigone

bigone Senshi no Hikari

how animage runs us heads of Anime studios directors and that elk vote animage hardly ever has Fan Votes and Studios and Directors are not allowed to vote for there own work

5. Hidden Masta

Hidden Masta Member

Yeah but that sit was crazy. It was like Yu-Gi-Oh times 3. I once went to a mall that was having some Pokemon event. They had to close it down because there was more people than fire safety standards allowed!

6. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Untrue. G Gundam's influence cannot be overstated. There are many, many manga and video games that reuse G Gundam's plot and characters nearly verbatim. It was also most Japanese viewers' first exposure to Yasuhiro Imagawa, who is one of the defining mecha genre directors.

To put it a different way, the ending of the parody baking manga Yakitate!! Japan is only comprehensible if you're familiar with the plot of G Gundam and recognize that it's being parodied. That's how famous the G Gundam plot is-- you can assume everyone reading a manga in Japan recognizes it.

7. bigone

bigone Senshi no Hikari

its that the same Yasuhiro Imagawa who was Story Boarder for Z Gundam Episode Director for Sentō meka zabunguru so if your of my age Z Gundam would have been First Exposure to 今川 泰宏

8. Hidden Masta

Hidden Masta Member

Now I have to rewatch both those shows....

9. garfield15

garfield15 Kamen Rider Meta

Holy crap, somebody besides me has read Yakitate Ja-pan.

10. Fox-Chan

Fox-Chan Harumph.

She meant as a DIRECTOR. Although it really wasn't Japan's first exposure to him as a director, as he had already been working on Giant Robo: The Animation prior to that.

Also, not all of us grew up in Japan, much less when Z Gundam was airing.

11. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

1. Giant Robo wasn't finished until 1998 due to production delays and as an OVA, was probably watched by fewer people than a TV series would have been. G Gundam finished airing in the 94-95 season and was extremely popular toward its end.
    2. Yasuhiro Imagawa's actual first series as director (that I know of) was Mr. Ajikko, an adaptation of a cooking manga. It was pretty popular and aired for around 100 episodes. That said, this isn't really the sort of material Imagawa became best-known for, although there is a guy in Mr. Ajikko who's pretty reminiscent of Master Asia.
    3. Imagawa's contributions to Zeta are why Tomino chose him for G, but it should be noted that he did not work on every episode of Zeta Gundam. That show employed fourteen different storyboard artists, in all.
    4. Generally, nobody cares much about minor credits like episode direction, storyboard, or unit director when it comes to a show's creative content. It's rare for those creators' individual styles to substantially influence the finished work. The credits that get the most attention tend to be director and producer, who have final say over everything.

12. Fox-Chan

Fox-Chan Harumph.

1. Fair enough.

2. Well, I learned something new today.

3. See above.

4. Hey, it was bigone that mentioned the fact that he worked on some story boards for Zeta Gundam.

13. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Heh, I didn't mean to imply that all of my responses were directed completely at you by quoting you. Sorry about that, if you felt singled out.

14. Fox-Chan

Fox-Chan Harumph.

Ah, alright then. I apologize.

15. bigone

bigone Senshi no Hikari

i cant believe i forgot about Ajikko but i hold zeta high it was my first Gundam so thats why i brought it up about that person being involved
    but my First Exposure to Tomino was Heavy Metal L-Gaim but i still dont find Gaim very good then again my fave Show by Tomino is Ideon

16. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Like most Americans, most exposure to Tomino ended up being completely backwards. I watched a VHS fansub bootleg of Char's Counterattack in the 90s, got hooked on Gundam, then discovered Tomino's other original IP creations. To this day I'm still working through his backlog.

My personal favorite Tomino shows are probably Xabungle and King Gainer.

17. garfield15

garfield15 Kamen Rider Meta

I think Gainer is seriously overlooked sometimes.

18. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Member

As one of his series that doesn't rely on "Hey? These guys? They're all dying before I finish this. ALL OF THEM."...yeah, it definitely is.

19. Aoiblue

Aoiblue Raxbait: Hip

....Freakin Sweet Love Hina is on there XD

20. gorby1980

gorby1980 Member

This list of 100 animes was published in Animage.

The only rankings is the spots 91-100, who are the Top 10 of the readers. This Top 10 was also published separately. Through this Top 10, we could discover that n°92 of the list must be Saiyuki.

The other 90 animes were a choice of Animage itself.

Why is there missing spots ? Because the guy who posted the news on a Google group only wrote the animes he recognized. And he never posted a scan of the article, like others asked. Someone else said he saw the article and that Heidi was on the list too.

If Heidi is really on the list (but which number ?), this leaves 24 missing spots.