2019 Super Sentai Season - Ryusouger

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

If anyone's confused & doesn't know yet... yeah. It's Dinosaur Knights. Dinosaurs again, using the same color scheme as Kyoryuger, just with dinos mixed up. Green is Sabertooth Tiger, though. Red is T-Rex again, but it's called Tyr-amigo, for some ungodly reason. Suits look good though.

You know what? If Sentai does get cancelled, I think Bandai ought to just shell a bit more money into PR for original footage, then take all the seasons of Sentai they have left & just make one, giant, ongoing story that uses everything and see how long they can go for. Send PR off with a nice little bang.

2. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Pictures hosted on tokunation and ukiyaseed.

[​IMG]

The Ryusougers

So first up, yes, it's the Kyoryuger colour scheme and pink is the only girl. Red is a t-rex, blue is a triceratops, pink is an ankylosaurus, black is a stegosaurus and green is a sabre-toothed tiger. So pretty much a mash-up of the animals chosen for Kyoryuger and Zyuranger.

[​IMG]
    The collectables are called "Ryu Souls". They are little dinosaur heads that change into humanoid figures. When not in use they are stored in their "Ryusou Buckles", which can hold up to three Ryu Souls.

There will, of course, be other Ryu Souls aside from just the transformation ones.

[​IMG]

To transform, the Ryu Souls are inserted into larger dinosaur head-like changers called "Ryusou Changers". When activated it will play the phrase "Ryusou Cool!" (because English language puns). Their standard weapons are the Ryusou Ken which is a gun that transforms into a sword. No sign of any individual weapons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The individual mecha are called "Kishiryu". They have individual names: "Tyramigo" (red t-rex), "TriKen" (blue triceratops), "Ankyloze" (pink), "MilNeedle" (black stegosaurus) and "TigerLance" (green sabre-toothed tiger).

Tyramigo can change into a humanoid mech by itself, which will be called "KishiRyu-Oh".

KishiRyu-Oh then combines with blue and pink (like Kyoryuger did!) to form "KishiRyu-Oh Three Knights". Then it can further combine with either green or black (but not both at the same time) to form either "KishiRyu-Oh Tiger Lance" or "KishiRyu-Oh MilNeedle".

The connection ports themselves appear to be four stubby posts in a square arrangement, a bit like the top of a lego piece, and a corresponding square of four ports on the piece to be connected.
    As I understand it, the Japanese word for dinosaur, "kyoryu", basically just means 'giant dragon'.

Clearly, they'll settle for repeating Kyoryuger's success.
    Why would Bandai invest money into a show owned by their competitor Hasbro?

3. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

Because I temporarily forgot who owns Power Rangers now. lol. I still think if it came down to it, they ought to give it a try.

4. Bouken Green

Bouken Green New Member

Am I the only one kind of disappointed it's another dinosaur team? I was really interested in the idea of a team of dragons. instead it kind of looks like a remake of Kyoryuger.

5. RiderKing

RiderKing New Member

No, pretty much everyone shares your sentiment.

6. raden238

raden238 New Member

Meh not really impressed with Ryusouger. Everybody was expecting a full-on Dragon Sentai team and once again we were trolled or just putting ourselves into a mindset of disappointment. Kyoryuger was in 2013, which would be 6 years once this show starts. To me that is not that long ago and the designs do feel very much like its inspired by it. I don't think dinosaurs will save the plummeting toy sales.

This might be the first sentai show that I skip. I have been religiously watching Super Sentai as it airs simultaneously in Japan since the second half of Goseiger in 2010 and never stopped since. But this might be the end of the streak.

Gokai Green likes this.
  7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Except for Goseiger and ToQGer, which I just couldn't stand enough to continue past the initial episodes, I have been watching Sentai as it was airing since the middle of Abaranger.

I'll probably still give Ryusouger a chance in the hopes that this possible swan song ends up being good, but I'm going to have very low expectations.

8. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

As much as I would have liked to see a dragon team, I kinda see the logic behind it. If Bandai are cooling on the show now that they're not getting Power Ranger money, then Sentai needs a big seller to keep them around and dinosaurs have always sold well for them.

I've been watching weekly since Gokaiger began, and Kyoryuger was probably my favorite season to see as it came out (well, not including Akibaranger). Obviously having the same theme doesn't guarantee that they'll recapture the magic that made me enjoy that show, but I'm interested to see them try.
    A long time back I made a thread listing the sales data for every Sentai since Jetman began. Out of all the seasons from then onwards, Kyoryuger is the second highest selling season, Zyuranger is third, and Abaranger is fifth. Japanese kids really love their dinos. Korean kids too, if the commissioning of 'Dino Force Brave' tells us anything.

While I appreciate that Kyoryuger wasn't that long ago, six years still means that the core audience hadn't been born when it aired. It's new to them, even if it isn't to us.

9. Kamen Rider Kaixa

Kamen Rider Kaixa New Member

Yeah, but I still wish it would've been a Dragon Themed one.

Dragon's are close enough to Dinosaurs that they can market it similarly.

And yeah, they should've at least waited a decade before recycling the Dinosaur Motif IMO.

10. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

A couple more scans:

[​IMG]
    The better look confirms that pink has a skirt and also shows that the Ryusou Changer is wrist-mounted. There's also a full colour version of a Ryu Soul in the top left corner. Oh, and the series logo of course, complete with big dino head.

Here's a rough translation of the story text provided by Matt Hunt on twitter:

"In the distant past, fierce warriors known as the Ryusouger fought against the evil Druidon, who sought to use the powers of the dinosaurs. Riding upon their partner dinosaurs, the Kishiryu, and using the powers of the Ryu Souls, the war against the Druidon raged on and on...

In the present, Druidon beings to awaken, sensing the powers of the Kishiryu, and the curtain rises on a Super Sentai team the likes of which we've never seen before!!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A better quality, non-hacked-up, look at one of the previously seen pages. This time we can see that the little armed figures the Ryu Souls turn into translate into a power-up for the Ryusougers, giving them additional unique armour pieces.

11. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Despite all the points about this being a blatant rehash of old ideas, and myself being disappointed about prehistoric animals and not dragons, none of this looks bad. I like the changers and the suits. The Ryu Souls and their armor modes look cool. Tyramigo has a good design, but the rest of the mechas except for Tiger Lance are too blocky and undetailed, just like the Zyudenryu in Kyoryuger. Since they do have one mammal mecha thus far, I do hope there are more down the line. Even better would be one or two birds, fish or amphibians.

The plot reads like a Zyuranger rehash. (The dragon knights rumor must have been referring to this.) If that's the case I hope they do a better job with it than Zyuranger did, but given the state of 2010s Sentai I'm not holding out much hope. More likely, and given Toei's absolute safe mode, it'll just be another saccharine "wacky anime hijinks" fest with gadgets that don't shut up, and villains with little personality and effectiveness*

*As unimpressive as Zyuohger was, the Deathgaliens were at least a unique concept for villains, even though nothing interesting was done with them.

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

"and the curtain rises on a Super Sentai team the likes of which we've never seen before!!""

Unless you've seen Zyuranger, Abaranger, or Kyoryuger.

13. raden238

raden238 New Member

I like the suit designs and omg they actually have a wrist changer thats not bulky! But I was really hoping for something different. The past 2 years Toei has taken gambles by drastically changing the Sentai format. Kyuranger's core team being 9 members and taken place in space (even if its only for a short span of episodes) and then Lupin vs Pat being the first Sentai show to have two different teams going at it for the season. It was awesome and I was expecting the trend to continue but instead it's back to basics with dinosaurs.

The Ryu souls gimmick looks kinda interesting dino heads into little humanoid ranger figures? but it just doesn't do it for me. I might give it a few episodes but I'm not excited.

14. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Cue the *It's not made for you, kids don't remember those shows, grow up nerd!* programmed response.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

lol

But Toei hasn't done anything differently. Sure, they had 9 members and a series with two different teams, but everything else was by the book and generic. Mecha overload, lackluster development for most of the rangers, no development at all for the villains, plots that go in the direction you expect them too, etc. It's so bad that it makes Soda's late era look revolutionary.

16. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

So, interestingly enough, nearly everything this leaker said turned out to be true. Dinosaur team, five members, one girl.

They even leaked images from the Cross-Z movie before it was released, stated the release date and time for the trailer, then went on to do the same with LuPat VS Kyu, even going as far as to give the story synopsis. They said Ryuusouger would start around March 17th and the toy listing that was found was "middle of March" for most of the toy releases.

I'm going to take it at face value, there's been way too much on the ball for this person to be messing with fans. (and it honestly wouldn't make sense)

I guess the existence of a Captain Marvelous series will seal it for a lot of people.

17. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

If this five-episode miniseries airs in February, does this mean LuPat is going to have 48 or 49 episodes? I'm assuming it won't be airing on December 30th for New Year's.

PowerPhantom245 likes this.
  18. raden238

raden238 New Member

Ryusouger definitely feels like Toei's damage control season. After countless years of poor toy sales from Ninninger through Lupin V Pat. They're desperate to reap back the profits. As Toku Prime stated earlier, Kyoryuger did very well, so why not just copy the formula again?

Ryu Soul looks like it's made from the Ranger Key mold, so again Toei trying to rehash past successes. I haven't heard about this special miniseries Sentai Special featuring past Rangers coming in February rumor. Sounds interesting but it comes out of nowhere. As for the big guys up in Corporate being pissed at the poor toy sales and wanting to cancel Sentai, this rumor I believe. There is only so many gimmick items that you can do for each season before it gets stale, who would want to buy them?

PowerPhantom245 likes this.
  19. Captain Shark

Captain Shark Member

>implying Sentai's downward spiral in toys and viewership didn't start with Gekiranger
    >implying any season other than Gokaiger has been bad since Gingaman
    >implying mecha overload is bad
    >implying plot prediction is bad
    >implying judging books by their cover is ever a good idea
    >implying sentai is Toei's only problem considering how bad Ex-Aid and Build were, especially the latter
    >implying Toei isn't trying to make more money by selling their sentai and metal heroes licenses to Shout and Discotek

Some of the worst pieces of media existed because they looked promising and some of the best pieces of media existed because they did the opposite. Still though, I'd be fine with this being the last season of Super Sentai, you gotta stop somewhere.

20. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

[Insert echoed disappointment about the motif not being dragons.]

Also, just had to do the math...
    From ZyuRanger to AbaRanger, 11 years apart.
    From AbaRanger to Kyoryuger, 10 years apart.
    From Kyoryuger to Ryusouger, 6 years apart.

The time between recycling is narrowing all the time!
    Just didn't think they'd leap from 10 to 6. Would have liked 3 more years before the next dino team, but I'm not completely out of the game just yet. Lupin VS Pat failed to take chances or impress, which it should have done. So maybe Ryusouger will have some unexpected surprises for us!

...Also, what's this I hear about Toei no longer making money off of Power Rangers? Have things really changed that much since Hasbro took over? I mean, they might not be using Bandai to score them toy sales, but they still have to borrow the stunt teams and pay for the rights to the Japanese footage, don't they? Or is all of those other things just a drop in the hat compared to toy sales? Because if toy sales really are the big ticket item, then that would be even more motivation for Toei to bring their best stories into Ryusouger, I'd think. Kids aren't going to be motivated to buy the toys if the show isn't all that spectacular.

Now this makes sense to me! I would love to see them play up the knights angle as much as possible. The merch shows there is a sword holster on the side of the belt, so maybe they will be doing something with the knight theme after all. It was cool that the characters from ZyuRanger were knights, a princess, and princes; but most of that was window dressing to match the theme of the show. They didn't really do much with it after you learn their heritage. Heck, they didn't even investigate to see if their kingdoms were still alive in the present day. Titles like that don't exactly matter if you don't have a kingdom to serve.