2019-2020: Kamen Rider Zero-One

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, May 13, 2019.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Sorry, but if you think this henshin sequence is long, you need to watch JAKQ. No henshin sequence will ever compare to that joke.

2. ooo5

ooo5 Member

I've seen some theories that Seiji Takaiwa might actually be the suit actor for Valkyrie instead of Zero-One when you look at how they move and the hand gestures.

Be interesting to see if that is the case.

3. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

I wonder if he'll have some sort of random, theme-related catchphrase this year... like, "I project your ass will hit the floor in the next quarter," or... ok, I had, like, three of these last night & they've all decided to leave, except for that one.

4. RiderKing

RiderKing New Member

Personally, I think Seiji Takaiwa should step down as suit actor for the main rider once Zi-O ends. I mean, he's been doing suit acting for nearly every main Heisei rider (the only exceptions being Kuuga and Hibiki) for almost 20 years now, and with the Heisei era over this would be a great opportunity for him to pass the torch to a newcomer for the next generation of Kamen Rider.

ooo5 likes this.
  5. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

You can tell a suit actor just by how they move their hand? o_O

6. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    Takaiwa's infamous for always doing this posing thing with his hand, people had a collage of it when Build pics were first hitting.

I've gotten crap in the past for trying to guess suit actors, but if you're a fan of suit acting and the suit actor is good enough to have their own distinct style, it's easier to spot them. I don't think there's any way Takaiwa would play a heroine, though. Especially not after his run of being the go-to guy for the main Rider, "Mr. Heisei Rider."

Zero-One looks tall and bulky to me. I'm not saying it's him, because it's likely not, but my first thought was that he looked like Jiro Okamoto.

ooo5 and PowerPhantom245 like this.
  7. Japaneseseriesfan

Japaneseseriesfan A simple passerby...

I thought it was already rumored and to a certain extent, confirmed that Takaiwa is now an action director in a sense? Don't take my word for it, but that's the talk that's going on my circle of friends.

8. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    I don't know where anyone got that, unless they're confusing that with suit-actor Jun Watanabe (who's only played a bunch of secondary Riders) being announced as the action director for Zero One.

ooo5 likes this.
  9. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Zero-One apparently makes two appearances in the Zi-O summer movie, "Over Quartzer".

One at the beginning where Woz does a "rejoice!" speech heralding his arrival, while a crows chants his name. This turns out to be one of Sougo's prophetic dreams but when he tells Geiz about it he dismisses the idea that their battle ends and another Rider appears as being just plain silly.

He then appears again in a post-credit scene, where he fights against one of the movie-exclusive Riders, Zonjis.
    Aah OK, so I haven't missed something in all the rush? Cool.

Maybe I just tend to be a bit more cynical about this stuff. It seems like every couple of years one franchise or another is declaring that it's a brand new era for them, and yet toku still seems to be a slow, grinding evolution.
    Kabutack and Robotack? I don't know much about their content, but they both really look like Robocon to me lol.
    First of all, welcome! It's always great to see new people here.:D

I've seen this theory going around a lot but it doesn't quite work for me. If I "translate correctly", as you put it, then "Zero One" becomes "Rei Ichi". The only way to get a pun is if you mix Japanese with English and then drop the "n" sound from the number one.

I agree it's probably a reference to Kamen Rider #1 (Ichigo), and to binary code which fits the AI themes of the series. But as a "Reiwa" reference, IMO it just seems a lot more contrived than the puns they usually use in these shows. Of course, your mileage may vary.
    He's not the action director. That's Jun Watanabe. There's been no official word as to who is in the suit. It's just people guessing based on their proportions and body language.

I wouldn't mind if Takaiwa became a secondary Rider that appeared later in the show, or even took a year out. When he wasn't in Hibiki, he switched over to Sentai and played Magi Red for a year, so the guy hasn't really had any significant time off since Agito started filming in late 2000. Like, someone tell him to go take his wife on vacation or something; He's more than earned a break from stuffing himself inside a sweaty rubber suit with zero visibility.

It would be cool if they brought in someone new who knew some different combat styles just to mix things up, but I doubt they'd put someone completely new in the main Rider suit. Normally you have to slowly progress from playing villain foot-soldiers to monsters of the week to secondary characters then up to other main characters.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  10. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Not really feeling any particular interest in Zero-One for now, but Ex-Aid with better suits and Ghost-level soundtrack sounds pretty alright.
    Ohmori so far is the only Toei producer whose next show is always better than the previous one (even if he started really low with Kyoryuger), so regardless of how Zero-One turns out to be, it'll likely be the best modern Toei can deliver.

11. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

I really don't get what's going on in Toei/PLEX's minds when coming up with Rider forms. Why isn't Flying Falcon all red? They just added a red chest and mask and kept everything else that pale yellow. It looks hideous.

12. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

PLEX don't generally do the initial designs. Bandai design everything as a toy line first, then turn it over to them to make the suits, and they have to keep as close as possible to what Bandai are putting in stores. When there are exceptions to this, their armor is usually based upon a pre-existing Rider design to cut down on costs (for example, with Zi-O's future Riders).

My guess is that the toy falcon splits up into armor pieces that clip onto a base Zero-One figure, so that's why it's like that.

13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Then shouldn't the hopper work the same way? Just swap out the pieces. Who thought this final product was aesthetically pleasing?

14. Japaneseseriesfan

Japaneseseriesfan A simple passerby...

I think they're trying to double down on the fact the Flying Falcon Progrise Key is shared with Jin, so that somehow makes it "special" once he gets it from Jin.

15. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Dengeki Hobby Magazine confirms that Yuya Nawata has been selected as the lead character's suit actor in Zero-One. Nawata has previously been the suit actor for Gemn (during the first half of Ex-Aid), Cronus (in the second half of Ex-Aid) and Geiz.

Seiji Takaiwa, who played 18 of the 20 lead Heisei Riders, will still be involved with Zero-One in an as-yet unspecified capacity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ooo5 likes this.
  16. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

First televised teaser:

ooo5 likes this.
  17. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

They use the engine rev from the Showa era at the end. This trailer is a bit more sober than the last one ("I'm the PREESSIIDDEDEEENNTT???!") we saw.

18. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

There's already been a bunch of leaks of this, but official information on Zero-One's theme tune has now been released.

Am I the only one who thinks it sound like part of the soundtrack to 'Outlaw Star'?
    The theme tune is called REALxEYES, which they are insisting is pronounced "realize". It's being performed by 'J' from the band Luna Sea along with TM Revolution (which is not a band but one guy who's really called Takanori Nishikawa).

Luna Sea previously performed the theme tune to 'Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin'. TM Revolution has performed a vast array of theme tunes, including Thunderbolt Fantasy, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, Valvrave the Liberator, and Rurouni Kenshin.

Curiously, one year ago the first release of Zi-O's DX BeyonDriver toy featured an in-package advertisement for the theme tune "Over Quartzer", which stated that TM Revolution was going to perform on that song. When the song came out ISSA was performing it instead, but it seems that TM Revolution has finally landed the gig.

19. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

The refrain is not bad, at least. I'd still have to hear the verses to judge for sure. It sounds like an insert song from an 80s or 90s toku more than an opening theme.

20. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Man, I hope song's gonna be better than preview indicates.
    I've been wanting TM Revolution to do a Kamen Rider song for such a long time. May'n landed give couple of good songs. Can we not waste Nishikawa please?