2019-2020: Kamen Rider Zero-One

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, May 13, 2019.

1. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

ooo5 likes this.
  2. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

Ok, there's a crap ton of this stuff all over Rangerboard, so I'll go ahead & do one more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry, I don't exactly know how to shrink the post, except with spoiler tags. Anyway, according to the rumor which went with these, there are 3 Riders-- Zero-One, Vulcan & Valkyrie. Many people claimed that the gimmick would be little suitcases & it would have something to do with music. Honestly, though, it looks like the latter, because those look like old-fashioned cassette tapes. They are apparently called Progrise Keys.

Also, is it just me, or does the gorilla Progrise Key at the top of this post look like it says "Punching Homo?"

ooo5 likes this.
  3. raden238

raden238 Member

Lets get the negatives out of the way first.

The Zero-One Riders seem to be a hybrid based again mixing technology and animals. The phone turning into the bike is straight out of Build and the form changes remind me of OOO. I don't think Toei and Bandai are ever going to have a Kamen Rider series without spamming a humongous toyline full of collectiables and other toys. It's just something we have to deal with but man I wish we get go back to the old days with a toyline thats not so bloated. We once again get a giant mecha armor for Zero-One much like Zi-O has, although this one looks better. The Progrise Keys look like id cards? or are they computer chips? Not bad Toei at least they look better compared to other collectiables.
    Kamen Rider Vulcan is ok, I like that his henshin belt doubles as a gun. Again the series will be Muti-Rider show with three Riders starting out, again reminds me of Build. We really aren't going back to simpler days of having our Main hero duking it out before the secondary rider appears in episode 17.

Now onto the positives:

Holy shit!!! Zero-One's default form Rising Hopper looks so cool!!! It's so sleek and simple. Giving me the classic vibe like Shin. If he had the scarf then damn. Its nice that Toei is finally giving us a old-school-esqe Rider again. It's been long overdue. Tech and Insect themed!! Wooo. The belt has that circular design which again reminds me of the Showa days. This is what I wanted! I may have to purchase the belt now, as long as the sounds aren't too obnoxious.

Overall, I am liking what I'm seeing. For the first Reiwa Rider we are getting a nice throwback to the early days. Now lets see if the show holds up.

4. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

HE'S A BUG!!!???!!! WHAT WITCHCRAFT IS THIS???
    We started the Showa era with a grasshopper Rider. We started the Heisei era with a grasshopper Rider. And we're starting the Reiwa era with a grasshopper Rider!​

Edit: Oh balls, I took so long to post that it became a little redundant. Still, I've included the names for everything and what goes with which Rider/form, so I won't just delete:

Just in case anyone doesn't want to patronise JEFusion, some images obtained from elsewhere of the toy leaks that came out today:

[​IMG]

Looking snazzy!

As for those smaller figures along the bottom, well the first one is Zero-One. But then we get a look at two forms of the show's secondary Rider, Kamen Rider Vulcan, followed by (I think) two forms for the show's villainous Rider, Kamen Rider Horobi. Then there's two upgrade forms for Zero-One and Vulcan (more details below).

[​IMG]

A shot of Zero-One's belt, slightly spoiled by going over two pages. You can also see his default collectable gimmick item, the Rising Hopper Progrise Key.

[​IMG]
    Some alternate forms for Zero-One accessed using the Flying Falcon, Biting Shark, Flaming Tiger, and Freezing Bear Progrise Keys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A better look at Vulcan's suit, along with a close-up of his transformation belt, which is a gun-like changer called the A.I.M.S. Shotriser. He changes using the Shooting Wolf Progrise Key.

[​IMG]

Sadly no better body shot of Horobi, but a close look at his belt, which is called the Metsuboujinrai Forceriser, along with his transformation item, the Sting Scorpion Progrise Key.

[​IMG]

Some alternate forms for Vulcan (I had initially assumed that the one on the right was for Horobi, but you can just see Vulcan's belt), obtained using the Punching Kong and Lightning Hornet Progrise Keys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As mentioned above, Zero-One and Vulcan will both get upgrade forms: Shining Hopper and Assault Wolf. They use these special Progrise Keys (which I assume have the same names as the forms) to access them.

[​IMG]

These appear to be the color-coded standard sidearm for each of our Riders. Zero-One gets the AtachCalibur, Vulcan gets the AttachShotgun, and Horobi gets the AttachArrow. All three have the ability to fold up into these little briefcase-like shapes.

[​IMG]

When Zero-One and Vulcan have transformed into the aforementioned upgrade forms, they are both equipped with an Authorize Buster, which is a gun that can turn into an axe.

[​IMG]

Zero-One is the only one thus far confirmed to have a bike: the Rise Phone. Like Build's bike, it's a cell phone that changes into a bike.

[​IMG]

He's also getting his own mecha (gotta keep that Time Majin money rolling in I guess?) which, based on the name of the Progrise Key, is called Breaking Mammoth.

[​IMG]

As always, they need a belt-mounted holder to contain the gimmicks. This is the Progrise Holder which will come with the Amazing Hercules Progrise Key.​

<sigh>
    Punching KONG.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    ooo5 likes this.
  5. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

On closer inspection these keys look like the Input Cards from B-Fighter Kabuto.
    [​IMG]

I just hope the belt and gears doesn't yap too much, and at least have a cool voice.

6. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

I don't like the color neon yellow; it hurts my eyes. I'm not being sarcastic, I mean the color actually, physically hurts my eyes for some reason.

But I do like the simple, back-to-basics design that is based on a grasshopper. #1 would be proud. Now if only he had a red scarf...

7. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Am I the only one that sees cassette tapes in front of the riders in some of those shots?

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I just hope Toei goes back to being story driven as opposed to slapstick goofy and gimmicky.

8. Japaneseseriesfan

Japaneseseriesfan A simple passerby...

FINALLY. SOMETHING I CAN SEE AND LIKE. Well... the color scheme could be a little more on point, but screw it, I'll take what I can get and hope for the best at this point.

So it seems like Horobi is gonna be like some Gemn-like character, and Vulcan's gonna be this Chase-like character. Not bad. Also, it seems like we'll actually be getting five(?) main Riders, so this has some Ex-Aid vibes to it mixed in with Build (the upgraded forms really remind of the Sparkling form and Hazard forms).

And then, there's obligatory mecha they need to throw in. Well, as long as they implement it well, and we see it more than a few times, I'll be happy with it.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

They need to stop with the mecha. The whole reason Sentai had mecha was to distinguish itself away from beign like Kamen Rider. Now that Kamen Rider is constantly having mecha in it, not to mention the additional riders, it's pretty much becoming Super Sentai 2.0.

10. Shougo B'Stard

Shougo B'Stard Would like to change his avatar

Home Page:
    And it's funny -- I feel like Sentai needs to get away from the mecha and find some new gimmick to latch onto. I already figured they wouldn't do it, but now that Rider is getting mecha happy, that says that Japan will never not be mecha happy.

11. Japaneseseriesfan

Honestly, that thing just looks like a Gundam. Or something out of GaoGaiGar.

12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

I don't think it needs to get rid of the mecha, it just needs to tone down the focus. Go back to doing it the way of the 90s and only use the mecha when the plot actually requires it. Hell, spend several episodes developing your cast and then have them earn their mecha like 6 episodes later.

Kamen Rider is getting out of hand too. I mean look at those pictures, 7 riders right off the bat? Jesus. No wonder characters are no longer getting development because Toei can't figure out which characters to focus on anymore because they always have to show off every one of them every episode and then introduce even more down the line.

13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Not that I disagree with this approach (I approve of it, and do so in my own fics) but even the 90s Sentais never did that; mecha fights were in almost every episode, just like Sentai has always done.

Only a few Sentais ever did that. Zyuranger through Carranger were the only string of shows where the main mecha didn't appear until later in the show, and even then the first episodes still featured individual mechas fighting instead of the combined robot.

14. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Supposed leaked poster:

[​IMG]
    Just going according to randos on twitter, the vertical text above the series logo says "Learning completed. Initiating Progrise." Under the logo is confirmation that the show begins on September 1st.

That central circle on the belt is very bright. I wonder if they're planning on having an Agito-style glow on it?

15. Japaneseseriesfan

"Progrise" is just a pun on "Progress" I think. I'm liking the suit the more I see it, but that neon-looking yellow just has the sicky-icky feeling to it, so I'm now even more mixed up on the color-pallet. I need to see this in action before I make a final conclusion on how I feel about it.

16. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

I'd prefer a duller "Agito" yellow, but this is nowhere near as aesthetically offensive as the Ex-Aid suits.

Is the official name then "01" or "Zero One"?

17. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

That's half of the 90s series. Also, Ohranger didn't have any mech show up until episode 7 while Carranger didn't have mecha until 5. They even fought giant creatures by themselves.

Not to mention Dairanger had many episodes without mech battles at all. Dairanger is an oddball though as only 6 episodes of the entire show are filler.

18. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

You realize that you just repeated what I said, right?

19. Japaneseseriesfan

I've seen this floating around a few places, but there are indeed 5 Riders.

Zero-One
    Vulcan
    Valkyrie
    Horobi
    Jin (the pink one next to Horobi, and it seems like his Progrise Key is shared with Zero-One).

20. PowerPhantom245

PowerPhantom245 Lurker

Here's my initial impression of Zero-One.
    I really like the design, where it reminds me of Showa~Early Heisei Design, due to bug/insect design.
    It's also interesting a yellow/light green for MAIN Rider, where most of them were Red (Wizard, Drive, and Build), Pink (Ex-Aid, Zi-O (little bit)), and Orange (Gaim, Ghost). Since Ryusoulger lacks yellow (not counting gold) on practically anything, Toei are making up for it.
    This is just me, but the design and coloring kind of reminds me of Hope Pym/The Wasp from Ant-Man.
    The collector's gimmick/item this time is cassette, which is kind of interesting.
    I really hope there won't be infamous "Kamen Rider gimmick number theory" that started since Decade; based on belt design and gimmick, it doesn't represent 12 this time... I think/hope.