2018-2019 Kamen Rider

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, May 7, 2018.

1. raden238

raden238 Member

I can't blame Toei for at least not trying. Besides Kiva, Kuuga and Fourze. No other series got the shaft yet.

2. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

The press conference for Zi-O's summer movie came out this past week. According to the actor who plays Woz in Zi-O, the movie has an "ending different to the TV series". The official title is "Kamen Rider Zi-O the Movie: Over Quartzer". And sure enough, the movie will feature a group known as the Quartzers.

[​IMG]
    The Quartzers are special Riders described as "managers" of time who appear once Sougo has collected all the Heisei Rider watches. They are themed after the Heisei Riders that were not a part of the main 20 Heisei series.

The one on the left is Balrckx, who - in case you didn't guess by how his name is "Black RX" with the letters scrambled - is based upon Black and Black RX (the Heisei era began between episodes 10 and 11 of Black RX). When un-transformed he will be played by the singer ISSA, one of the performers on Zi-O's theme tune. His band DA PUMP will also be providing the movie's theme song.

The one in the middle is Zonjhis. His name is a scrambled combination of Shin, ZO, and J, and sure enough he is based upon the three one-shot 90s Riders. When not transformed he will be played by a dancer and choreographer called Papaya Suzuki, who's previous involvement with tokusatsu was creating the ED dance for Kyoryuger.

On the right is Zamonas, who is based on (surprise, surprise) the Amazon Riders - primarily Alpha (from the first season) and Neo (from the second). Out of suit, he will be portrayed by Syuusuke Saito, who was previously Kyoryuger's black ranger, Ian Yorkland.

ooo5 likes this.
  3. Japaneseseriesfan

Japaneseseriesfan A simple passerby...

Outside of his helmet, Zonjhis suit looks like they could have put in more effort to not make it look so made out of rubber.

I mean... I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, some of it looks pretty great, like Balrckx, but the head piece and the clock theme kills it for me (like with everything Zi-O does with that theme).

I'm actually fine with Zamonas's headpiece, don't know about that side cape though. At least it doesn't look like Zonjhis's shoulder cape, which just looks like someone tapped a cut up garbage bag to it.

Are the hand pieces on the their face indicative of a specific time? If so, what do they mean? If anything?

4. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

I like the concept of Zonjhis' design, I just wish it was slimmer and didn't have those trash bags over the chest and shoulders. Balrckx looks good; the gold pieces on Zamonas make him look a little too regal, considering the Riders he's based off of.

5. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Episodes 39 and 40 will truly be the climax of the series, as they will be based around Kamen Rider Den-O!

Yes, Yuichi Nakamura was just in the two Hibiki episodes, but he's right back again as his other character, Yuuto / Kamen Rider Zeronos. He will be reuniting with Deneb, and the other regular Imagin (Momotaros, Urutaros, Kintaros, Ryutaros) will also appear.

The synopsis suggests that the DenLiner makes an emergency landing and Sougo's uncle, Junichiro, is recruited to help fix it. Junichiro will also be possessed by Ryutaros, while Momtaros will possess Geiz. Meanwhile Another Den-O appears and the first of the two episodes also features the debut of Grand Zi-O.

Another Den-O was previously in the Heisei Generations Forever movie. We'll have to see if that directly ties into this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. Japaneseseriesfan

It's been like... 11-12 years... and they're still milking Den-O? Then again, why am I surprised...

7. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

Yeah, I just caught a vid on Rangerboard of someone with the Grand Zi-O Ridewatch toy. You realize that that thing is going to do all the belt sounds for every rider on a loop when he puts it in his belt, then when he activates it, it sings an over-the-top pop song made up of all the main heisei riders' names. :D

8. raden238

raden238 Member

Yeah talk about overkill. I always preferred Decade's way of handling the henshin sounds instead of Zi-O. Less shouting and drowning of the sounds with catchy puns.

9. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Are they milking Den-O? Every show except for Kuuga, W and Drive has gotten a tribute episode. If they were making a Zi-O/Den-O crossover movie as pointless as the one with Decade, I'd agree with you.

10. Japaneseseriesfan

I recently went to a hobby store near my house, and there's been a surprising influx of Den-O merchandise lately. I thought it was weird, usually, they don't show up in this amount a decade after their airing is over, at least, not compared to other shows. But like, the boxes seem to be in mint condition. I didn't really ask the shop owner anything, so that's a little bit of an assumption on my part. People in my country also kind of really loved Den-O, so maybe that's a factor as well. Hobby shops tend to bring out things for their own marketing strategy as well.

Like, I'm just going off on the fact that they seem to be very keen to bring Den-O back every chance they get for it's recognition factor, to maybe generate some kind of response like this, indirectly gaining income for a long gone product. And seeing the toys again after they were mostly gone a few years ago just made me thought it was weird. Even the CSM is there, still pretty expensive.

Who knows, maybe they WILL do a Den-O crossover considering they did somehow manage to get Takeru Satou back for the latest Heisei Generations. It would almost seem like too good of a chance to pass up.

11. Japaneseseriesfan

Oh, and the pun is writing itself. Zi-O is THE King. and Den-O is the Train King... Knowing Toei, they could write a whole script involving that theme alone.

12. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Den-O is still the most popular series in Japan. Toei stuff hasn't really been pushing it during last 6-7 years (Imagin popped up here and there in cameos, but the last relevant Den-O focused piece of media was OOO x Den-O movie iirc) yet people still vote for this series as their favourite, so there is apperently a demand for Den-O reagrdless of what Toei does with it.

13. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Kuuga, Agito and Ryuki weep.

14. Kamen Rider IXA

Kamen Rider IXA Lurker

Hey, it's not like I'm happy with it either.
    I don't really understand why people love Imagins so much.

Black Fang likes this.
  15. Japaneseseriesfan

Maybe because it's dumb, fun comedy? Plenty of people would rather ruin sophisticated, intellectual or grounded stories with hearts of gold with dumb, fun comedy to justify their lack of morality.

Black Fang likes this.
  16. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

To be completely honest, while Den-O isn't the worst (at least it had a decent payoff that didn't make me feel like I'd just wasted 17 hours of my life) I agree that it isn't that great. The sad thing is, given how Japanese society is, with this weird obsession with everything having an exact, perfect place in the world & people being ridiculed or shunned for either liking something that isn't age or gender appropriate (They have "Adult" candy, for christ's sake & the only difference is that the adult candy says adult on it), I have to assume that the love over Den-O isn't based on anything rational or realistic. Maybe, the cool train theme made kids feel like it was easier to get away with giving the show open affection, so it's remembered more fondly, or something. At least, out of the more recent seasons.

On top of that, the last movie kind of hinted at the fact that most of today's kids have never even heard of Kuuga & the really old audience is more classic rider obsessed (for reasons that I also can't quite fathom. Amazon, Black & Black RX are also not the worst things I've ever seen, but super old-school comicbook-y & not as good writing or logic as most of the Heisei stuff), so the early 2000s seasons are probably just like a "hidden gem" thing over there.

Black Fang likes this.
  17. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

I'd love to write a big long post explaining why Den-O was the best season since Kuuga ended, but first there's more news to report on!

It has been announced that Kamen Rider Drive alumni Yu Inaba and Chris Peppler will both be returning as Go Shijima (a.k.a. Kamen Rider Mach) and Krim Steinbelt (a.k.a. Belt-san). Both men recently appeared in the two-part Kamen Rider Brain special and now both will appear in Zi-O's summer movie. At the time of posting, Drive is one of the remaining Riders whose power has not been obtained by Sougo within the series.

18. Japaneseseriesfan

I'd love to read that. I doubt I'll agree, but I'm interested in what you can bring up to say it was the best season since Kuuga ended. Frankly, I'd say plenty of other seasons that came out before Den-O are pretty great and do a great job of succeeding in Kuuga's footsteps, but that's just me judging it from a mixed of semi-objective/subjective lens.

19. Hangyakuno

Hangyakuno Lurker

Den-O was good. The only thing ruined it is because TOEI keep milking it and add new rule every movie.
    I can say, its series make its own mark in Kamen Rider history just like Kuuga. After Den-O, Kamen Rider become less edgy but sadly never look natural or as entertaining as Den-O can be. The closest one is Build, chemistry between the four rider and their sidekick was exactly like how Taros and other human cast.

20. Japaneseseriesfan

I find the term "edgy" very questionable. Mostly because nowadays, it's just a buzzword. I didn't like it when people threw it around with Sasuke or some of the Uchihas in Naruto, because that's dismissing a lot of nuance that goes into fleshing out the characters to begin with, and I don't really condone the use of it outside of using it to describe someone using those tropes associated with it just for the sake of using them and portraying it completely over the top in the most non-sensical ways possible or portraying them so by the books that it's been overdone to death.

In that respect, I could give the same criticism to Den-O for being completely dumb when it didn't need to even need to be in it's own runtime. Not to mention, Kai appearing out of nowhere during the last arc just detracts it from ever being anywhere near as good as Kuuga ever was. Like, Ryuki and Blade, despite whatever shortcomings they had, still managed to make up for it by giving a very satisfying ending, or multiple versions of the ending itself. Den-O's Kai arc felt a lot like Kabuto's last arc with the last boss being Mishima. Out of nowhere. At least with Kabuto, Mishima was kind of always around from the start, with Kai it was just implied that Ryutaros was sent by him, but that was never mentioned nor hinted again until it kicked into full gear.

Kuuga still did it best. The confrontation between Daguva was built up since episode 1 since he revive the Grongi, and when you finally get to that last episode, no OST or any other flashy noise was needed. It was just pure catharsis to see those two finally duking at it. The Death Imagin on the other hand? Yeah, I don't know, I always tend to say a story's greatest asset is what it's main villain has to offer and how closely they tie back into being the antithesis of the main protagonist that's been shown so far.

Den-O's concepts are great. It was probably one of the most unique in terms of Early Heisei. But concepts alone do not make up all of story telling. I think Kobayashi just had a bunch of these great concepts in place but didn't flesh them out as neatly as she could have because of how much the show just focused on the it's dumb comedy to make people laugh rather than going into lore building.