2018-2019 Kamen Rider

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Toku Prime, May 7, 2018.

1. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

I'm on the fence about that kind of thing. We know that the original actor for Kuuga is just not going to come back. I'd hate to see Zi-O time travel to an age where Decade was active, just for the sake of using all the recast Riders (like Decade's Kuuga/Onodera Yusuke), but it may be the only option we can get in some places if the TV show wants to gives some focus time to EVERY Heisei Rider. Granted not all the recasts were bad, I actually like Decade's Souji/Kabuto better than the original, that one actually had a likable personality. But I think the long-term audience would be happy if they kept recasts to a bare minimum.

If they HAVE to recast previous Riders, then I think Toei should forget about the ones that appeared in Decade, and recast the Riders all over again with new actors. Like I said before, they could enforce the idea that "the mere act of time travel changes things", as in time travel is a taboo thing that shouldn't ever be done, and it's making the past of the Kamen Riders a little unstable. In other words, Doc Brown logic, alternate timeline tangents, etc. At the very least, it might provide a good reason to have a Zi-O VS Den-O moment. And let's face it, with Kamen Rider doing the time travel gimmick *AGAIN*, it's bound to happen.

ooo5 likes this.
  2. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Weirdly, I can't help thinking that - crazily enough - there were some developments in the latest episode of Build (ep. 46) that might just feed into SamuraiEchidna's musings above.

Crazy fan theory time (Obviously contains spoilers for Build, so I've hidden it behind a button):

So episode 46 begins with the creation of the white Pandora panel. Sento announces that this panel, when loaded with bottles, has the ability to transport the user between dimensions.

Sento then unveils this crazy scheme to use the white Pandora panel, the black Pandora panel (which when fully loaded has the ability to teleport anywhere within this dimension) and the energy stored in Evolt to crash this dimension into a neighboring one in order to merge them and create a single new dimension.

Tbh, I thought it was weird. Evolt may be a devourer of planets but the show still hasn't built him to the level where it seems that the only way to defeat him is to destroy reality itself. It seems like crazy levels of overkill.

Build has already traveled to another dimension, the World of Ex-Aid, which due to the returning past Riders could be taken as the "main" Rider continuity (insomuch as that idea has any meaning given how little Toei cares about such things).

But if Build's show ends by merging his dimension with that one, it completely re-writes Rider history and Zi-O can take place in this new dimension with free reign to recast and re-imagine who or whatever they want. o_O:eek::confused:

ooo5 likes this.
  3. NeonZ

NeonZ Member

I don't think they'd go after the Decade recasts again either way. They couldn't even bring Decade's Faiz back to Movie Wars 2010, and only the children actually had free schedule to appear on set, with the other ones just voicing the suits and getting one shot by themselves. Zi-O's plot also so far only seems to involve time travel, not parallel worlds. I can see parallel worlds and maybe Onodera popping up for a Decade homage episode, but I doubt it'd be part of Zi-O's core premise.

Anyway, if Zi-O actually meets the past Riders through time traveling rather than in the present, I'd guess they'll just be suit-only, aside from any stock footage from their own shows. Even if they have the past actors, some of them look fairly different nowadays (like Shinji's).

I think that's just leading to Build being integrated into the same world as the other Riders (thus simplifying any future crossover appearances). I really doubt they really need any complex excuse for some weird recasting again. The movies never did it, only bringing back the actors that could return and leaving the others suit-only. I think something like that is more likely than attempting to go for recasts again, especially when it didn't even work well with Decade, when they had issues even bringing back the reimagined Riders during Decade itself.

ooo5 likes this.
  4. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

I don't think I can embed it here, so if anyone wants to hear an example of the Jiku/Ziku Driver's sound effects and screen display, a video from twitter of someone in a toy store triggering the transformation can be found at http://twitter.com/gtrvariedades/status/1024916760124903426 (sound is muted by default so you'll need to enable it). It's actually pretty cool IMO.

ooo5 likes this.
  5. RiderKing

RiderKing New Member

Here's a sneak peak at Zi-O's cameo from the Kamen Rider Build movie:

ooo5 likes this.
  6. ooo5

ooo5 Member

I like how the belt flips.

So looks like we get a preview of the form before Zi-O kicks it and the parts latch onto his body?

7. NeonZ

NeonZ Member

And the press conference already happened, so we're getting trailers now

Low quality Zi-O trailer
    https://twitter.com/ryo_kr91020/status/1026715191927431168

Bandai trailer with focus on the toys.

Anyway, it confirms we're getting past actors, including Banjo's, Sento's, Emu's and Hiiro's. Build, Cross-Z and Ex-Aid are all briefly shown transformed in the trailer too. Demon King Zi-O's suit is also shown, alongside Another Rider Build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Extended trailer:

Sougo Tokiwa is an 18 year old high school student. He lives with his great uncle (i.e. the uncle of one of Sougo's parents) Junichiro Tokiwa, who runs the Kujigojido watch shop. Sougo is a positive person who dreams of one day becoming a king.

50 years in the future, Sougo has accomplished his goal...kinda. He rules the world as the evil demon king. A resistance fighter called Geiz Myokouin (his name is pronounced "Gates") travels back in time to track down and kill Sougo before he conquers the planet. He is followed by a girl called Tsukuyomi, who manages to find Sougo first.

Upon realising what kind of person Sougo is, Tsukuyomi decides to help him to avoid becoming the demon king. She convinces Geiz to wait and see what Sougo becomes before killing him. The pair are both allowed to live in an upstairs room above Junichiro's shop.

In addition to these two, a mysterious prophet called Wars has traveled back in time. He always carries a book with him and will appear before Sougo to offer him hints about the future before suddenly disappearing.

The villains of the series are the Time Jackers. They are another resistance group from the future, but have travelled back in time to have their own selected individual become the demon king instead of Sougo. The Time Jackers select people and give them "Another Watches", which will transform them into "Another Riders", the series' monsters which look like twisted versions of the previous Heisei Riders (kinda like SIC figures really).

The three Time Jackers (initially) sent back in time are Wool, a young man who takes great joy in disrupting the timeline, Aura, a calm young lady, and Schwartz, an older guy who looks down on the other two. Wool and Aura must convince people to use the "Another Watches" while Schwartz can force them into transforming.

[​IMG]
    Sou Okuno as Sougo Tokiwa a.k.a. Kamen Rider Zi-O

[​IMG]
    Gaku Oshida as Geiz Myokouin a.k.a. Kamen Rider Geiz (Gates)

[​IMG]
    Shieri Oohata as Tsukuyomi

[​IMG]
    Katsuhisa Namase as Junichiro Tokiwa

[​IMG]
    Keisuke Watanabe as Wars

[​IMG]
    Rihito Itagaki as Wool

[​IMG]
    Ayaka Konno as Aura

[​IMG]
    Kentaro Kanesaki as Schwartz

[​IMG]
    Zi-O and Geiz battle the Build "Another Rider"

[​IMG]
    Sento (Build) and Ryuga (Cross-Z) pose with Sougo (Zi-O) and Geiz (err...Geiz).

[​IMG]
    Hiro (Brave) and Emu (Ex-Aid) pose with Sougo (Zi-O), Geiz and Tsukuyomi.

As NeonZ mentioned, these four previous Riders are confirmed to be making an appearance in Zi-O.
    Descriptions and photos courtesy of The Tokusatsu Network.

9. ooo5

ooo5 Member

The main character's dream to be a King seems oddly specific, all the more so when it turns out he becomes a pretty terrible demon king in the future :p.

The Kaijin being monster versions of the Main Riders feels like it both accomplishes the need for a Kamen Rider to fight monsters, while also serving to approximate the classic Rider vs. Rider convention that has been a big part of modern Rider :).

I wonder if they'll start mining Secondary Riders for monsters so they don't run out of the Main Riders so quickly into the show's run ;)?

I'm guessing we'll also get to a point where the Time Jackers in Zi-O's time turn themselves into Another Riders to fight Zi-O :eek:.

Looks like they're going for a Main Rider + Secondary Rider team-ups with Zi-O and Geitz/Gates, as indicated by the images with the past Riders and the Zi-O cast. I'll be curious to see who else they can get back, and if they're aiming for all the Main Riders and their Seconds (which...will kind of be impossible for Kuuga) :cool:.

10. raden238

raden238 New Member

I like the idea of having the monsters being evil-looking versions of past Riders. It's a nice touch to pay homage to the past 19 series but still making it different instead of simply re-using monster suits. Zi-O's dream of becoming a King in 2018 is weird (this isn't medieval times right?).

The Jikku Driver is pretty cool, its as close as we can get to a classic belt thats not overly clunky but still having a collectible (because of toy money) that doesn't ruin the aesthetics. I like how the belt spins to activate it and its a digitized version of the Decadriver :p.

I'm not too fond of the Main/Secondary Rider team format that's been happening a lot more often now. I wish they went back to the classic format of having the Main Rider doing solo missions and then second Rider comes in later (episode 17ish). Even the Multi-Rider format for the shows are starting to get stale on me.

I've give Zi-O a shot tho.

ooo5 likes this.
  11. Shogun_Master

Shogun_Master Why is every good TV show Cancelled

Well, the existence of Hibiki pretty much ensures the physical impossibility of them running out of Riders to mine ever. lol. The show looks really good, though. This already sounds like it'll be a great Rider series.

12. SamuraiEchidna

SamuraiEchidna Member

I'm sorry, did you mean...
    [​IMG]

Get use to the train jokes, people. I still think a VS Den-O moment is inevitable. :p

But so far, this is some pretty interesting information.
    Zi-O is a male after all. Sorry to everyone who wanted it to be a female. Japan is still a homogeneous country that loves their traditions!
    Wars, even with his stupidly unoriginal name, sounds like the Narutaki of this series. Let's just hope he actually does something instead of randomly turning into an old school villain at the end.
    I "kind of" like the Another Riders concept. Reminds me of Another Agito from Kamen Rider Agito. ...Does that mean Another Agito was just a Rider turned demon after all? :eek: But what I don't like is how they pick random people to become these Rider demons. Since it's a time travel show, this could be how you get around Rider actors that didn't want to return. Have the Rider be a demon for most of the episode, and even when Zi-O defeats them/turns them back to normal, the Rider still stays in-suit. Get a voice actor, pretend it's the original actor, and call it a day.
    Last of all, here's hoping Geiz turns out to be a better character than DiEnd.

Yeah, that is oddly specific! I hope the show does a good job explaining that, as well as do a good job with how these characters are written. Kamen Rider, in my opinion, has had fairly solid writing in last recent years. I really want that trend to continue, even in this show.

ooo5 likes this.
  13. NeonZ

NeonZ Member

Considering how many monster suits we got in the last few years, and how toyline-wise all Heisei Rider Watches are coming out in the first quarter, I don't think we'll get one Another Rider for each Heisei Rider.

We probably will get suit cameos for Riders lacking actors at least in the Forever movie. It could happen in the tv show too depending on how these cameos are handled. It seems like with Build at least they'll meet them in the present before going to the past to protect their past selves from the Time Jackers, so the format might make it necessary some kind of cameo from the past Rider.

ooo5 likes this.
  14. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Bandai's website has revealed the identity of the voice of the Ziku Driver. The singing parts and the normal spoken lines are actually provided by different people.

The singing parts are performed by Yohei Onishi, who previously sang the opening theme to Ninninger and the end theme to Zyuohger.

The normal speaking lines are performed by Rikiya Koyama, a prolific voice actor in anime and video games who also long ago appeared onscreen as Joe the Haze in Kamen Rider Black RX.

ooo5 likes this.