2016-2017 Kamen Rider: Ex-Aid trademarked

Discussion in 'The ORB - News & Rumors' started by Gold Samurai, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

Yes but later on in the very same series, did the show become even better because Yoko/Marika died?

Lazy's point is that character death doesn't automatically lead to a good narrative. Any event can be good or bad depending on how it's treated. So no, if they decide to kill Lazer off it isn't automatically awesome - it depends on what they do with it.

2. Greywing

Greywing New Member

Coming to Ex-Aid late and.... man, I am having a REALLY hard time getting into it. It feels like Toei wanted to do a medical themed series, Bandai wanted to sell video game style toys, and neither party would compromise.

I'm four episodes in and, while I can probably bring myself to overlook the atrocious costumes and the awful Kabutack-style Level 1 forms, the show seems to be more intent on introducing new Riders at a ridiculous rate than telling a coherent story. I'll give it until episode five, but think this is going to be a year I skip.

3. KamenGrappler

KamenGrappler Lurker

I think it's a lot better than Ghost, at least the characters have some personality.

4. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

"At least it's not Ghost" doesn't make a show good though (while Ghost wasn't perfect, it's not as bad as a lot of the dogpiling makes it out to be.)

5. Greywing

Greywing New Member

Yeah, I stalled on Ghost about a third of the way through, but mainly due to work commitments and a lack of time to keep up with it. It was.... fine. Enjoyable enough, even if it was very by the numbers. Characters were a bit stereotypical, in that "let's write dialogue and behaviour for human actors that would be trash in anime" way of a lot of Toei's live action shows in recent years have been, but I liked it more than Ex-Aid. Much better designs, too.

I tried watching eps 4&5 of Ex-Aid last night and ended up falling asleep. Not a good sign. It gets one more chance, then I'm writing it off.

6. lazycoconut

The number of Riders in Ex-Aid might not be that bad ...

There are no more introduced after episode 5. It looks like Lazer's going to be killed off in the next episode, and then Kamen Rider Paradox is due to debut in January, so we'll be back to five Riders. Toy catalogues confirm no new Riders in the third quarter - so if any more are introduced after this, it won't be until late in the show. Ex-Aid will certainly have fewer Riders than Gaim did

But yeah, no shame in dropping a show early if you're not enjoying it. (And, hey, Amazons is back on soon if that's your thing)

7. Toku Prime

Toku Prime Member

If you've made it to episode four then you've seen them introduce all the Rider characters. Instead they'll now start handing out a form change to each of them. Once a Rider attains level three then the level one forms become pretty much like the masked forms back in KR Kabuto i.e. a transitional stage that only appears for a few seconds as part of their transformation sequence.

Personally I thought the early episodes were coherent. Toyetic certainly, but that's the nature of the beast with modern toku. But to each their own. There's no point in forcing yourself to watch a show you're not enjoying. Not when there are plenty of other series out there to watch.

8. Greywing

Greywing New Member

How is Ex-Aid doing ratings-wise? Whenever a toku goes SUPER goofy, either in its visuals or its tone, I struggle to believe even younger kids enjoy it. Personal bias, but I hated when kids shows I watched when I was younger spoke down to me. That's what it feels like when stuff like this has googly-eyed designs or Goseiger has screechingly annoying 'fun' characters.

9. lazycoconut

The tone of Ex-Aid is not that goofy, just the designs. There is some more "serious" stuff in the more recent episodes (although despite what some people are saying, I think the "it's going to be darker than Gaim!!!!!" is premature.)

I don't really think that being goofy automatically = disrespect for audience though ...

10. KamenGrappler

KamenGrappler Lurker

While I doubt Ex-Aid will end up "darker than Gaim" I like the direction it's going in so far. Despite all the Riders and Forms they've introduced, there's still quite a bit of story there for it only being 10 or so episodes in. While some of the suit designs and forms are a bit on the silly side, and as Toku Prime said "toyetic", I think the lvl 2 forms at least look pretty interesting. I'm also enjoying the medical drama meets video game theme.

While it's still a bit early to tell, and there's plenty of episodes left for it to flop, I'd say Ex-Aid is the best Rider show since Gaim (I'm excluding Amazons, love that show but it's hard to compare it to the normal seasons).

11. Gold Samurai

Gold Samurai Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. KamenRiderUNDERGROUND

KamenRiderUNDERGROUND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! SUBARASHI!!!!

^Basically Lv XX splits Ex-Aid into two personalities: L (Hojo Emu) and R (M), one is more focused on the patient, and the other more on clearing the game.

There's a couple of scans missing there. The texts mention Lazer does go "Game Over" indeed, and Genm takes the Gashacon Sparrow and use it as his own weapon.

Also Snipe has access to Full Dragon.

13. Wing Saber

Wing Saber Member

While I haven't caught up on Ex-Aid, i would agree that it's on the level of Gaim. Especially when the tone is very serious, to where the Riders don't even agree on the patient. Like how Hiiro feels that Emu shouldn't get himself emotionally connected to one.

14. Timeline15

Timeline15 New Member

I don't think the tone is as serious as Gaim yet by any stretch. By around this stage in the series, (or one or two episodes time I believe) Gaim had already gunned town the teenage comic relief character. You have to be a pretty hard-core rider show to kill off the comic relief.
    Also, I'll be very surprised if one of Emu's friends ends up going insane (partially because he has no friends besides the female lead), and even more surprised if it ends with the moral "you can never escape your fate".

15. lazycoconut

Hase didn't get much time as comic relief though. He started off as a bully who at one point tried to kill Kaito for a Lockseed. He then lost his Driver and Lockseeds, became enraged/depressed, and ended up consuming a Helheim fruit and being killed. He died in episode 15-16 IIRC, which is a couple of episodes later than Lazer. But Hase's death was pretty horrific (turning into an Inves, glitching back and forth between Inves/human, losing his mind with occasional periods of clarity, then being gunned down by the Energy Riders as Kouta screamed in terror.) Whereas a character being killed by the bad guy in order to silence them is pretty standard

The pre-show promo material, and Ex-Aid's appearance in the Ghost movie, suggested that "changing fate" was going to be an important theme of the show but thus far that hasn't really happened. I don't think Ex-Aid is or will be quite as depressing as Gaim. People keep pointing to things like Hiiro's girlfriend dying or the implication that Kiriya's friend may have committed suicide; but stuff like this happens in most Kamen Rider series, it's not the Worst Ever.

16. KamenRiderUNDERGROUND

KamenRiderUNDERGROUND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! SUBARASHI!!!!

Before Kiriya dies he gives Emu his Bakusou Bike Gashat, from now on Ex-Aid summons the bike by inserting the Bakusou Bike Gashat in the Kimewaza Slot Holder (just like Genm did with Shakariki Sports). The bike however doesn't have eyes on them anymore (it's lifeless).

And as mentioned before: Snipe in Full Dragon

[​IMG]

17. Wing Saber

Wing Saber Member

It is kinda disturbing, since it's like riding a corpse. Despite being a copy of Lazer.

18. AyaToyBox

AyaToyBox New Member

I guess it would be like Lock vehicle instead ^^ press the gashats throw it turn into bike LOL

19. KamenRiderBiblio

KamenRiderBiblio Micchy Did Nothing Wrong

"Emu, I leave the fate of humanity to you. Never forget, you are you. As long as you keep smiling. Your fate, Emu, you can change it!" - Kiriya's last words.

20. hakushi

hakushi Lurker

His fate is being a tool to collect data and being patient zero for the virus