10 episodes into Goseiger... what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Henshin Justice Unlimited' started by waterballoon, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Kenzo Kabuto

Kenzo Kabuto Member

so far it's getting a little better with the plot but mostly it's pretty much toku fare.

2. Oblivion

Oblivion Lurker

With 10 episodes, I can't say I like it much. It's in between "it's okay" and "it sucks." Eri is super annoying, Agri is a wasted character, and the proffessor and Nozumu aren't utilized at all and Datas, I don't even care. I do see potential in it though, and it's painful that a few of them feel wasted. I'm liking the villian's side and Hyde and Moune, but that's all that I like about Goseiger. Beside the design o the suits. With Epic 8 I guess our theory of their suit form being their true form is out. 1/5 isn't enough to judge yet though.

3. bue52

bue52 Member

I find Goseiger alright, compared to other light hearted series like Magiranger and Go-onger though, there is less incentives/hooks within the episode to make you wanna continue to watch. But I still "hooked" to it, by the characters, the story isn't not engaging its just that it is very vanilla good but, it just doesn't really excite you. I have a feeling Goseiger will continue to be episodic and its okay as an episodic series. Though it'd be good to have a few sub plots running (So far I can't really see much, the harmony and differences of the tribes seem more like a thematic issue that will be addressed, hence not purely sub-plot, and is more of an overarching issue, I guess.)

On to the chracters.

Alata: I like him, he is really a well done supportive male character, he feels like the glue of the group, and I like how his character has an agender (yes I totally made that word up) feel to him. His hasn't been stereotypically masculine, and neither is he feminine, all his traits so far seem quite gender neutral. Except maybe the high empathy and enthusiastically dancing in episode 11. I like how this Red is radically different from the rest, he has all of the typical red roles, yet he never steals the limelight. Its an interesting and difficult character concept to stay consistent with, and I am quite interested to see how he is further developed.

Hyde: Firstly, he is TALL!!!! I wish I was his height:disappoin Anyways, this character hasn't engaged me as much (Sorry waterballoon) but he is alright, I always had a liking for one of the secondary male ranger, and so far Hyde hasn't given me that feel. He is alright, and I like episode 10, where he starts of obsessing over Magis, which was cool to see, though I find it not a well fit with the tone of the series. Pardon me for making a comparison, but Magiranger has done a better job at jumping between "Crazytown" and angsty. And I was always drawn in by the character interactions they had, somehow everything they do is justified (Enough) for me in the show. But Goseiger hasn't done that, or rather it hasn't done it well, so somehow when there was a bit of angst from Hyde, and then the way he overcame it, well..... it never struck my emotional cords as much as Magiranger did. As the character goes, he has potential, but that's because he is very vanilla , which to me isn't a really good reason for character development. But he still hooks me in with him being the only Seaick member. I really hope someone else took the mantle of Gosei Green, it'll be the most awesome way to get Hyde to be more...... tasty? But with the Gosei Knight coming out, I'm not too sure. I guess I can only get more Gosei Green in fanfics.

Eri: She surprises me. Her antics are quite random, which I can relate to coz I'm always like that when I am high....... But other than that, nothing much. Though I do see potential in her being used to unveil more characteristics of the rest of the cast. There something about the way she interacts with people that makes me think this way, can't put my finger on it though.

Monet: She is pretty awesome, her concept is quite interesting, and its nice to see that the clipped bird complex of an overly protective brother isn't seen here with Monet and Agri. I find her quite a good balance of masculinity and Femininity in the sense that she is both tomboyish, and still has a decent amount of other traits. She is actually the most realistic person, amongst the angels, in the sense that her reactions feel quite typical to me. The episodes that focus on her are quite good actually, she is both compassionate and reasonable. Even her bossiness which everyone claimed to be slapped onto her in episode feels like a logical process to me. I see it as an extension of her stubbornness and it is also a subtle way of showing her being more comfortable in the group. Overall, a decent character, and I think her character has a good track record (so far) of coming up with good stories so I would continue watching to watch more Monet episodes.

Agri: I'm sad, I have no comments on him. His character is not quite fleshed out. Unlike Alata who appears to step out of the limelight as a character trait and/or character concept, Agri doesn't have a reason for stepping out of the limelight. So far the focus episodes on him is either not really engaging or his spotlight is shared. So no comments, though he does have a potential to be the one who grounds the group in reality, though this is more of hopeful speculation on my part, which stems from his comment about the farming =/= warrior training. That was really cute :anime:

As for the plot so far. I have one word, meh. Maybe is the post-Shinkenger syndrome ( I like dramatic scenes and a well told story). Goseiger has an okay plot, but its not very dramatic, but neither is it distinct enough to engage me. But then again, I think its too early to tell, the themes or subject matter in each individual epsiode is decent, most of the time, but the series doesn't have a very good binding sense to it. But this is more personal preference than anything else.

Overall, I think Goseiger is quite a decent series so far. It has enough hooks to keep me interested but not enough good hooks to make me really excited by it. Its not bad but its not epic either. I can't have an intellectual satisfaction nor a childish fanboy squee payout from it. But it does tickle my funny bone sometimes, and the characters are the current driving factor for me.

Thank you for reading this post if you did.

4. psychonerv

psychonerv Member

I can't say I liked it a lot and I don't hate it enough to drop it. The 10 eps gave enough time for us to be settled in with the goseigers, but I think the 10 eps could have been used better.

the goseigers, well its kind of a mixed bag for me, I liked alata's laid-back character but somehow i wanted him be a little more serious. Agri, kind of had a strong impression on me at the first eps, but somehow it didn't last long. Hyde being the only one of his tribe at the start, had this lone wolf type of vibe for me but he easily opened up to the others. the two girls, well they annoy me at some point, they haven't had the chance to shine for me.

5. Phantom_Miu

Phantom_Miu "ShinkenRed~Kaoru Shiba"

At First I Didn't liked the First Episode but other episode somewhat got me hooked . My favorite Episode is Episode 11

Btw: I think it's MOUNE not MONET

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

Great villians designs over the past 10 years: Juuzo, Rio, Mele, Long, Jannu, Rijewel, Sandaru, Dagon, Slepnir, Branken, Nai, Mea, Wolzard, and Loki.

7. Painted_Outlaw

Painted_Outlaw The new Tendou Souji

I'll disagree about the Nai/Mea duo but, a lot of that does sound good.

8. Reito-sama

Reito-sama 俺はドラスデイックの男

Somehow it is good. Only I liked the previous mecha battle scenes which kicking kaijin butts GoseiGreat have reminds me of Live Robo. Eri is funny but not bad, for Agri needs improve otherwise might be ended up like Masumi, Jan, Ryunosuke, Hanto and Tetsu. Need serious improve. Plot is fine better than when watching Gundam Wing's random plotholes.

9. waterballoon

waterballoon Member

Ah yes, yes... Alata is a really interesting character; he's very unusual and different from all the Reds I've seen.. and even now he doesn't remind me of any character I've seen in Sentai. I'm really impressed by Alata tbh. At first I thought he was a pussy but after 11 episodes, I like him a lot.

And also, Alata.. I don't know but I don't really see him as "man" or "woman"... more like a boy? lol.

I think you meant Moune not Monet :p But I agree with you... actually, I feel that Alata and Moune are the most realistic characters in Goseiger so far... I mean no one is ever forever serious like Hyde, no one is ever high like she's on drugs like Eri, and no one is as boring and bland as Agri... I like Moune a lot but basically whatever you've said about her is what I think of her too.

Well yes the human villains always are awesome (you don't like Dayuu had a good design? haha) but I guess they had a reason for excluding human villains in Goseiger... I wouldn't say or see it as something that would break the show... a disappointment yes, but not something that would break the show for me.

10. lazycoconut

lazycoconut I liked him when he wasn't a god

All of those are very different characters, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about? Do you mean he's going to do a drag act?

I know there's at least one fansubber/fansub group that spells it "Monet." It makes more sense than "Moune" because the name isn't pronounced with a long O, even if that is the official spelling :sweat:

11. waterballoon

waterballoon Member

Mone's name is spelt as モネ which is mo-ne, so... it's Mone ^^

12. Lynxara

Lynxara Nice post!!

Yeah, the official romanizations we got from that poster are fairly arbitrary. You could write the names other ways. If Goseiger was licensed, I'm pretty sure some of the names would be changed.

13. KouAidou

KouAidou 二番目の翻訳者

Yeah the romanizations are fluid IMO. I know I prefer not to use "Skick" myself, even though it's on the damned jackets. :laugh:

And I don't know whether or not the villains have official names or not, but I strongly support giving them names that actually correspond to their naming puns...

14. Nanami Tenkawa

Nanami Tenkawa 優しさの大人少女

Home Page:
    first of all, the episodes were start to fresh the writers were not in rush but to think better ideas in later like cool fight scene without suits. come to think of Aguri-kun my fave guy than amongst characters, good thing he's totally hot guy. didn't like Nozomu-chan so far doesn't seemed a help at all. Bladerun is the fave villain so far but i want the Warstar leader to act on action to fight.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Member

It's cool. I love them because of the gothic fashion sense they have. Makes them look really cute. CHaracter wise, I thought they were great because of the way they acted, with one repeating the end of a setence for the other.

16. So far I like Goseiger... just OK. It's not like Shinkenger who make a big impression at first. Goseiger was slowly build. The pace wasn't realy fast, I even can call it a little bit slow.

The Character is quite good....but the warstar.... I can't seems to understand what their goal is......

After I see epic 10.... I see.... Gosei Green 6><' With a former Deka Green as the actor....Why doesn't he live...damn it..... -(

17. waterballoon

waterballoon Member

hmm... I got really blown away by Epic 12 tbh... I feel something big is gonna come up although I don't know what it is... this series just feels really odd and different from every sentai series I've watched that...

I'm so excited. :laugh:

18. Black Fang

Black Fang Member

Made them look ugly is more like it. Goth is one thing but that? They looked like the freaks you might see at a NYC or Vegas club.

Looked to me more like another case of toku girls trying to act cutesy a la anime.

19. Sage Shinigami

Sage Shinigami Member

Ask me again in five episodes. :D

That said, should nothing be "wrong" with Arata, I'm going to be really annoyed.

20. Aoi Kurenai

Aoi Kurenai Mad Skillz

Yeeeeeah. Somehow, I've found myself really enjoying Goseiger quite a bit. It seems more episodic than the last couple of series, but I'm guessing it's going to turn out to be one of my favorite episodic series.

I also find it odd that I am really intrigued by Arata, he seems like such a distinct red character.